Monday, March 9, 2009

A-Z exploration

In searching for a shared aspect of each of my initials, I found that B and P had Egyptian pictographical counterparts, but not C. C came later, it was used to make the "g" and "c" sounds in Greek. The Romans associated C more with Kappa, than Gamma, as before.

I then began to think about the letters in terms of their contemporary forms. As an image, the letters each share one common trait; the curved 'c' shape. 'P' with a backwards 'c' attached at the bottom makes the B shape.

I thought about the fact that (except in certain cases like a, or I), on their own, our letters do not represent anything really on their own, and are not able to be pronounced without other letter sounds. B, P, and C would be phonetically pronounced as "bee", "pee" and "see". It is interesting that these letters "spell out" actual words in this sense.

I've also been exploring other ways besides speaking that we represent letters.

B: Binary= 01100010











P: Binary= 01110000











C: Binary= 01100011

No comments:

Post a Comment